> [NEW starting on 12 December] Advent calendar
Actions of the Alliance to better protect minors online on the occasion of SID
The Alliance to better protect minors online is a self-regulatory initiative aiming to improve the online environment for children and young people. Following the European Commission's invitation to come together and take part in a joint effort, leading ICT and media companies, NGOs and UNICEF officially launched the Alliance on Safer Internet Day 2017.
TIM (Telecom Italia) | Telefónica | Telenor | Telia Company | Twitter | Vivendi | Vodafone
GSMA | ICT Coalition | NICAM | Toy Industries of Europe | UNICEF
Many are planning specific actions around Safer Internet Day 2018. Read on to find out more...
- A detailed Safety Snakes lesson plan.
- An overview short lesson plan.
- A printable version of the online safety Bee-Bot mat (4 x A3 size documents).
- An interactive Scratch Bee-Bot sim.
- A link to the video, presented by young children, showing how to use the online safety mat.
- Other lesson resources, including Bee-Bot command cards, unplugged Bee-Bot image, a printable mat square for children to design their own Bee-Bot mats and dos and don'ts teaching points.
- Running own public campaigns and events.
- Provisioning of awareness-raising material.
- Support of governmental initiatives.
- Support of NGOs engaged in the field.
- Facilitating the work of schools and teachers.
- Parental controls on different devices.
- Privacy and security.
- Setting rules with children for their online presence.
- Entertainment and downloads.
- Social media.
- Online behavior.
- Digital resilience.
- Switch off time.
SID motto promotion
Habbo will encourage the online communities around the world to support the SID 2018 slogan "Create, connect and share respect: A better internet starts with you" by promoting it into their avatar's motto (can be seen on the user's Habbo profile).
Internet Safety Games
We've created a virtual game in which Nina, an employee of a youth centre, will introduce our users to different people who have had negative online experiences. The experiences are related to this year's theme, ¨Create, connect and share respect". We explore four different cases, each seen from a different point of view - that of the victim, the perpetrator, any relatives and an organisation dedicated to the issue in question. The themes we'll cover are listed below:
- The sharing of "fight videos" online.
- Revenge porn.
- Anonymous bullying.
During the week of Safer Internet Day week (5-9 February 2018), one interactive storyline will go live every day. Users that complete the storyline activity successfully win a badge.
On day five, we'll be testing all new knowledge gained by the users in a quiz. Every user that answers all the quiz questions correctly receives a special trophy.
We'll also have multiple user-made videos related to the interactive activities.
SUPER RTL's actions for Safer Internet Day 2018 include:
- Shortly before 6 February 2018, we will launch our new video app for preschoolers called "TOGGOLINO" App and we flank this start with a commentatorship via press release about Safer Internet Day 2018.
- We are planning a coverage via our TV channels within the Mediengruppe RTL Deutschland about Safer Internet Day 2018.
- With our engagement at fragFINN, we also support an initiative between Deutsches Kinderhilfswerk/FSM/fragFINN. They will present the new "Internet Guide for Parents" in Berlin on 6 February 2018.
- On Safer Internet Day, launching a school class training concept to raise children's awareness of privacy and integrity online, based on findings from second round of Children's Advisory Panel with focus on children's privacy and integrity online. The training is brought to schools by Telia volunteers (employees), and developed together with Save the Children Finland and World Childhood Foundation in all Telia's core markets (Sweden, Finland, Norway, Denmark, Estonia, Lithuania).
- On Safer Internet Day, hosting a coding school event at Telia's main office in Helsinki, Finland, as part of the company's commitment and participation in Mediataitoviikko, a week of media education aimed at developing/empowering media skills for children and adults.
- On Safer Internet Day, participating in a Safer Internet Day Conference in Tallinn, Estonia, organised together with the Estonian Union for Child Welfare.
- On Safer Internet Day, delivering the lesson "Children's safety on the Internet" and workshop about privacy at schools, together with NGO Vaiku linija in Vilnius, Plunge and Kaunas, Lithuania.
- On 8 February 2018, delivering a public lesson on "Children's safety on the internet" in Vilnius, Lithuania.
- On 2 March 2018, an event "My school – my friend" will be held at the Danish schools national friendship/anti bullying day. Telia will be providing education material together with Save the Children Denmark.
- On 11 April 2018, Telia will be issuing a set of Children's rights guidelines for telcos in connection with the Global Child Forum in Stockholm, Sweden.
- In September 2018, Telia will participate in a seminar about child sexual abuse material (CSAM), organised by Save the Children Finland for early childhood educators in Jyväskylä, Finland.
- An advertising campaign, "Greatest Courage" against cyberbullying, will continue in various formats and channels in Estonia.
- Coding classes with children, on request from schools and others, where Telia volunteers teach children and/or parents some coding and discuss a safe and nice internet usage and children's rights online in all Telia's core markets.
- Smart Surf training with children in schools, offered by Telia volunteers, where we discuss safe settings and a safe and nice behaviour online. Similar training also offered to parents/adults in all Telia's core markets.
- Education and training of employees in children's rights and safety online. Offered as a general training to employees and mandatory for volunteers in all Telia's core markets