INHOPE statistics 2018
- INHOPE (International Association of Hotlines)
Online distribution of child sexual abuse material (CSAM) is a rapidly expanding global problem and the INHOPE network is at the lead in facing this challenge. INHOPE is a global network of hotlines combating online CSAM with 46 hotlines in 41 countries. Hotlines enable the public to report online material, including potential CSAM, that they suspect to be illegal. The hotline will review and investigate each report. If confirmed as illegal, they work with partner hotlines in the network, law enforcement and industry to get the content removed, as rapidly as possible, from the internet.
- The volume of reports being handled by INHOPE hotlines is increasing.
- The distribution and redistribution of new and previously seen CSAM is growing.
- Hotlines are having a significant impact on the issue.
- 155,240 CSAM related reports were exchanged via ICCAM.
- 337,588 alleged CSAM related images and videos were processed via ICCAM.
- 223,999 images and videos were assessed as illegal.
- 58 per cent were removed from the internet in less than three days.
- 91 per cent involved children under 13 years of age.
- 80 per cent of victims were female.
- 84 per cent of the content was hosted on image hosting services.
- INHOPE (International Association of Internet Hotlines)
The second annual INHOPE Summit, Emma's Journey, took place in Facebook's Menlo Park HQ in California in June 2019. It brought together representatives from the technology sector, the US Department of Justice, child advocates from both sides of the Atlantic, and law enforcement, to highlight the critical work that the INHOPE network of hotlines does every day.
INHOPE and its extensive network of member hotlines work to eliminate online child sexual abuse material (CSAM). During Safer Internet Forum (SIF) 2018, Fred Langford, Deputy CEO of the Internet Watch Foundation (IWF) and INHOPE President, and Peter-Paul Urlaub, consultant at eco complaints office and INHOPE Board Member, gave a presentation on the journey of a report on CSAM.