Child-friendly search engines
- BIK Team
One of the most frequent actions that children do online is searching for information. What happens when they come across harmful content or information that is not appropriate for their age? Is there any way to prevent them from accessing such information on regular search engines? What happens to the information that children look up online or to the data that they insert about themselves?
- Safe sites and pages written specifically for kids. Handpicked and checked by Kiddle editors.
- Typically listed as results 1-3.
- Safe, trusted sites that are not written specifically for kids, but have content written in a simple way, easy for kids to understand. Handpicked and checked by Kiddle editors. Typically list as results 4-7.
- Safe, famous sites that are written for adults, providing expert content but are harder for kids to understand. Filtered by Google safe search. Typically listed as result 8 onwards.
- Portuguese Safer Internet Centre
The easy access to pornographic content offered by search engines to anyone, including young children, is one the main concerns of parents nowadays. Teresa Sofia Castro, post-doctoral researcher in Educational Technology at the New University of Lisbon, Portugal, recounts her research interviews with children on the topic, and suggests some guidelines for parents.