Safer Internet Day 2018 was a great success!
- BIK Team
On Tuesday, 6 February 2018, we celebrated the 15th edition of Safer Internet Day. With a theme of "Create, connect and share respect: A better internet starts with you", the day called upon all stakeholders to join together to make the internet a safer and better place for all, and especially for children and young people.
The 2018 edition of Safer Internet Day counted on the support of more countries (140+) and more organisational supporters (80+) than ever before, right across the globe. The Safer Internet Day website – the home of all things SID – showcased the many events and actions taking place across all around the world, directing users to local contacts and sources of support and information for helping to establish a safer and better internet in their respective countries. The SID site counted more than 39,000 user sessions on the day, and attracted the attention of many more countries who hope to get involved in future editions of SID.
Much activity of the day played out through social media, with a Thunderclap kick starting the day with the support of 798 people and a potential social reach of 2.7 million people. The coordination level profiles concluding the day with 17,200 fans on Facebook and 30,000 followers on Twitter. The #SID2018 and #SaferInternetDay hashtags trended worldwide several times during the day with in excess of 102,000 tweets and a potential 1.5 billion impressions.
Local actions by the global network of Safer Internet Centres, Safer Internet Day Committees and SID Supporters expand the reach of the SID messages much, much more.
The day also enjoyed the support of many influential supporters such as the European Commission, Digital Single Market, Commissioner Gabriel, Commissioner Navracsics, Andrus Ansip, INTERPOL, UNODC, Twitter, YouTube, Google, UNICEF, BBC, Android and Microsoft to name just a few.
As always, there was also some great industry support for the day. This year, Google included a Safer Internet Day promotion on many of its market search pages while also encouraging a Google security check-up in honour of the day, Facebook provided free ad credit to help boost our posts, Snapchat created a special SID geofilter for its users, while Twitter helped to raise visibility of the campaign hashtags by creating a special Safer Internet Day emoji and by providing some Ads for Good credit.
We thank you all for your support in making it such a huge success!
Since the day, a number of success stories from the European network of Safer Internet Centres (SICs) have been shared on the Better Internet for Kids (BIK) portal as follows:
- Austria: Austria celebrates Safer Internet Day 2018
- Belgium: Belgium places a spotlight on cyberbullying for SID 2018
- Bulgaria: Digital and Media Literacy Days spread SID messages in Bulgaria
- Bulgaria: New mobile app from the Bulgarian SIC Helpline and Hotline
- Bulgaria: SID 2018 in Bulgaria: Children, youth and teachers discussed fake news
- Croatia: Croatia publishes its first Internet Safety Charter
- Cyprus: Safer Internet Day 2018 event in Cyprus
- Czech Republic: SID 2018 in Czechia - children call to have their say!
- Denmark: Sikkerspiller.dk - the Danish 2018 Safer Internet Day campaign
- Estonia: Celebrating SID in schools, kindergartens and youth centres in Estonia
- Finland: Cooperation is the key for broad-based media education in Finland
- Germany: Great involvement in Safer Internet Day 2018 in Germany
- Greece: SID 2018 in Greece
- Greece: Greece proposes age of digital consent at 15 years old
- Hungary: The digital future through a child's eye – SID 2018 in Hungary
- Hungary: Participating in a "Live Library" on SID 2018
- Iceland: Celebrating Safer Internet Day in Iceland
- Ireland: Irish youth #BeInCtrl on SID 2018
- Ireland: Student Síofra celebrates Safer Internet Day 2018!
- Ireland: Safer Internet Day 2018 in Ireland
- Italy: Challenging cyberbullying on SID 2018 in Italy
- Latvia: Safer Internet Day 2018 celebrations in Latvia
- Lithuania: Everything starts with us! SID 2018 in Lithuania
- Luxembourg: Safer Internet Day 2018 in Luxembourg
- Luxembourg: Create, connect and share respect… from a parental viewpoint
- Malta: Raising parental awareness of image sharing on SID 2018
- Netherlands: Placing a focus on youth and cybercrime on SID 2018
- Norway: SID 2018 in Norway: Adults need to involve themselves in kids' online lives
- Poland: Celebrating Safer Internet Day in Poland
- Portugal: SID 2018 – Celebrating 10 years of Safer Internet in Portugal
- Romania: Celebrating Safer Internet Day in Romania
- Slovakia: SID 2018 in Slovakia: Sexual abuse of minors – "Who's next?"
- Slovenia: Celebrating SID 2018 in Slovenia with an educational seminar for schools
- Spain: Celebrating Safer Internet Day in Spain
- United Kingdom: Mobilising the UK to "Create, connect and share respect" on SID 2018
- United Kingdom: Football clubs back Safer Internet Day
- United Kingdom: Safer Internet Day 2018 bigger than ever as millions take part in global celebration
Several Safer Internet Day Committees and supporters across the globe have also shared their successes:
- Brazil: Brazil celebrates Safer Internet Day for the 10th time
- Jordan: Jordan celebrates Safer Internet Day 2018
- Oman: Oman celebrates Safer Internet Day 2018
- Russia: Russia celebrates SID as part of Safe Runet Week
- Taiwan: ECPAT Taiwan highlights issues of online enticement, nude selfies of children and sextortion for SID
- Ukraine: SID 2018 across Ukraine
- Children are so smart (MOMIO)
- Microsoft digital civility study shows online abuse often comes from people's own social circles
- #TogetherForRespect - what happened on Safer Internet Day?
- Fiji: The Pacific's approach towards cybersecurity
And, as always, as one Safer Internet Day draws to a close, we're already starting to prepare for the next - save the date for SID 2019!
We hope to bring you news on the theme of the SID 2019 campaign in the coming months. In the meantime, keep checking the Safer Internet Day website for the latest information, like the SID Facebook page or follow SID on Twitter.
- UK Safer Internet Centre
The UK marked Safer Internet Day 2018 by mobilising people across the country to "Create, connect and share respect" and explore how a better internet starts with each and every one of us. The message at the heart of this year's UK campaign was about promoting healthy relationships online by developing children's digital empathy and inspiring kindness and respect.
- Greek Safer Internet Centre
On the occasion of Safer Internet Day 2018 in Greece, authorities, institutions, parents, educators and other stakeholders participated in a main event. Attendees showed great interest in topics relating to online risks, as well as the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
- BIK Team
As every year, we celebrate Safer Internet Day (SID) on the second day of the second week of the second month of the year! SID 2018 takes place today, 6 February 2018 under the theme of "Create, connect and share respect: a better internet starts with you"!