COFACE Families Europe – November 2017 newsletter now published
- COFACE Families Europe
COFACE Families Europe has recently published the November 2017 edition of its newsletter featuring several items which touch upon the Better Internet for Kids (BIK) areas of work.
COFACE Families Europe at Safer Internet Forum 2017
The Safer Internet Forum (SIF) is a key annual international conference in Europe where policy makers, researchers, law enforcement bodies, youth, parents and carers, teachers, NGOs, industry representatives, experts and other relevant actors come together to discuss the latest trends, risks and solutions related to child online safety. COFACE Families Europe Director Liz Gosme was invited to speak in the first panel to give input on the work of the Alliance to better protect minors online.
GDPR policy brief
As the date of the effective application of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) draws near, organisations big and small are examining how its various provisions will apply to them. Indeed, from 25 May 2018, there are a number of features and concepts in this Regulation which could potentially transform the web, including the way children experience it. COFACE Families Europe has therefore developed a policy brief covering the implications of the GDPR for children, in relation to:
- Parental consent for processing of children's personal data, the implications for children's rights to privacy (Article 8).
- The right to object to use of personal data for marketing (Article 19).
- The right to data portability and switching between online services (Article 20).
- The right to object to online profiling (Article 21) and ask for transparency on how algorithms function (Article 15).
Read the full November 2017 edition of the COFACE newsletter here for a whole host of other updates on issues affecting families in Europe.
* COFACE Families Europe has been involved for 59 years in building a strong social, family-friendly Europe. It brings forward the voice of millions of families, gathering 58 organisations from all over Europe. COFACE Families Europe advocates for strong social policies that take into consideration family needs and guarantee equal opportunities for all families. Find out more at www.coface-eu.org.
- BIK Team
The 14th annual edition of Safer Internet Forum (SIF) 2017 took place on Thursday, 23 November 2017 in Brussels, Belgium with a theme of "From children's tech to resilient youth – how to foster wellbeing online?". The event was a great success, with 235 participants from across Europe and beyond attending.
- COFACE Families Europe
COFACE Families Europe has recently published the October 2017 edition of its newsletter. This edition features several items which touch upon the Better Internet for Kids (BIK) areas of work.