SIMOOC: A joint MOOC for teachers in Austria, Germany and Luxembourg
- Austrian, German and Luxembourgish Safer Internet Centres
A MOOC – massive open online course – is an online course with open access via the web. Saferinternet.at (part of the Austrian Safer Internet Centre), klicksafe (part of the German Safer Internet Centre), and BEE SECURE (part of the Luxembourgish Safer Internet Centre) have developed a free "Safer internet MOOC" in German. Called SIMOOC, it shows teachers how to use the internet safely in the classroom.
Figure 1: Logo SIMooc: CC-BY Lene Kieberl
Content from the internet increasingly impacts upon school life. In SIMOOC, the three Safer Internet Centres examine the possibilities and benefits of using the internet in daily school life and how to stay safe as a teacher.
Topics which are discussed include:
- Protecting you own digital tools.
- Which parts of the digital world of children can also be included in lessons.
- Issues surrounding copyright and privacy in the classroom.
- How to prevent phenomena like cyberbullying and hate postings.
- What to watch out for when using digital devices in school.
The MOOC is hosted on the Austrian MOOC platform www.imoox.at where more that 1,100 participants are already taking part. The current course will be supervised by moderators until December 2017, after which anyone can freely join and take the course independently.
Find out more about the work of the Austrian, German and Luxembourgish Safer Internet Centres, including their awareness raising, helpline, hotline and youth participation services on the Better Internet for Kids (BIK) portal.
- European Schoolnet