(there are different age requirements to manage a Google account; see the link on the right for further information)
YouTube is a video-sharing social network which is owned by Google. Users can upload, view and share videos.
There is a vast amount of available content including video clips, TV clips, music videos and other content such as vlogs (video blogs) and educational videos. A safety mode allows users to restrict the content which is available to them.
A YouTube Kids version aims to present family-friendly videos, where kids can explore their imagination in a safe environment. To provide support for parents, YouTube Kids has also published a parental guide. This website has not been made available yet at a global level; it can be accessed in the US, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand.
Resources from Safer Internet Centres
- Austrian Safer Internet Centre - YouTube flyer (in German)
- Austrian Safer Internet Centre - YouTube privacy guideline (in German)
- Austrian Safer Internet Centre - YouTube quiz (in German)
- Austrian Safer Internet Centre - YouTube quiz (in English)
- Greek Safer Internet Centre - Block video on YouTube (in Greek)
- Irish Safer Internet Centre - Explained: YouTube safety mode (in English)
- Latvian Safer Internet Centre - Guide to safety and privacy on social media (in Latvian)
- Slovenian Safer Internet Centre - information and tips for the whole family on how to use YouTube safely and responsibly (in Slovenian)
- UK Safer Internet Centre - A parent's guide to YouTube Restricted Mode (in English)
- UK Safer Internet Centre (SWGfL) - YouTube - 5 Top Tips for Parents (in English)