(Please note: WhatsApp recently changed its minimum age to 16 across the European region in response to GDPR)
WhatsApp is a cross-platform mobile messaging app which allows users to exchange messages without having to pay an SMS charge.
It is available across a wide range of different devices including iPhone, BlackBerry, Android, Windows Phone and Nokia and all of these devices are able to message each other.
Users can create groups and send each other unlimited images, video and audio messages.
Resources from Safer Internet Centres
- Austrian Safer Internet Centre - WhatsApp flyer (in German)
- Austrian Safer Internet Centre - WhatsApp privacy guideline (in German)
- Dutch Safer Internet Centre - How to report abusive content on WhatsApp (in Dutch)
- Estonian Safer Internet Centre - Privacy recommendations for WhatsApp (in Estonian)
- Irish Safer Internet Centre - Explainer: What is WhatApp? (in English)
- Latvian Safer Internet Centre - Privacy settings in WhatsApp (in Latvian)
- Slovenian Safer Internet Centre - Tips on using WhatsApp safely and responsibly (in Slovenian)
- Slovenian Safer Internet Centre - PowerPoint guide on privacy/security settings when using WhatsApp (in Slovenian)