Insafe-INHOPE IGF 2020 pre-event - The coronavirus pandemic
- Start date:
- End date:
- 16:10 17:10 (Time Zone Sensitive)
We have always hoped that our digital tools would create connections, not conflict. In unprecedented times - such as during the global coronavirus pandemic – we are using the internet and online services more than perhaps ever before. Being online is providing a lifeline for everyone in society from the old to the young, workers and learners, and the vulnerable and curious. While the ways we are substituting in-person interaction are not perfect, we are seeing an explosion of creativity (e.g. virtual yoga classes, church services or dinner parties) as people try to use technology as a bridge across physical distance. Equally, while the pandemic is teaching us to use the internet as it was always meant to be used: to connect with one another, share information and resources, it is also important to remind ourselves of a few key points to keep safe online. During this day 0 event participants together with experts from the Insafe-INHOPE network of Safer Internet Centres will discuss issues such as:
- Talking with children and young people about the pandemic.
- Talking with vulnerable groups (e.g. minors, older people and people with disabilities) about their technology use.
- Embracing the benefits of social media to help us get through difficult times.
- Online learning.
- Being mindful of online contacts and connections.
- Keeping personal information private.
- Choosing online tools carefully and thinking before sharing content.
- Disinformation and scams.