* Please note – resource listings are being added to regularly, so please check back often for the latest information *
- Children learn what coronavirus is and how to protect from it. This video, produced by the Cyprus Pedagogical Institute and the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports and Youth, aims to inform children about COVID-19.
Positive content and well-being at home
- Creative and safe use of the internet by kids and young people. With schools closed in Cyprus, children and young people are at home for lengthy periods of time. Thus, it is important to offer them opportunities for quality and creative use of digital media and the internet. The Cyprus Safer Internet Centre invites parents and teachers to use a selection of educational/information resources, recreational activities, tools and games that help children develop key skills and use the internet in a responsible and creative way.
How to respond to online risks under the COVID-19 pandemic
- Using the internet safely during the coronavirus pandemic. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and lockdown measures, people are using the internet more than ever before. It has become a valuable tool and an important solution for society at the moment. Therefore, it is very important to remember some basic information about how we can be safe online.
- Parents' guide to safe internet use. This 77-page guide provides parents with basic knowledge and advice on how to inform children about safe and responsible use of the internet. It offers information on how different age groups (pre-school, school and adolescence) can use the internet and the risks they might be exposed to.
- Good internet behavior rules. The internet has become a powerful tool that plays a key role in the lives of children and young people. It can be educational, fun and socially rewarding, allowing significant opportunities for expression and communication. However, when communicating online, it is important to respect a set of rules that allow polite and friendly interactions, avoiding hurtful behaviors.
Emergency remote teaching
- Distance learning - safe and creative use of the internet. A collection of resources, provided by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports and Youth, to assist teachers with emergency remote education. It includes information on online safety, curriculum updates, and tips on how to make the most of online lessons.
The Cyprus Safer Internet Centre also provides helpline services allowing children and young people, and parents and carers to access personalised advice and support. Equally, it provides a hotline for reporting any illegal content you mind find online. Don't hesitate to contact them in case of need!
In addition, we'll be bringing you a range of articles and insights on the opportunities and challenges of being online during COVID-19 in the coming days and weeks. Keep checking the Better Internet for Kids (BIK) portal and follow our social channels on Twitter (@Insafenetwork and @SafeInternetDay) and Facebook (@SaferInternet and @SaferInternetDay) for the latest news, information, advice and resources from the Insafe network and from other stakeholder organisations on staying safe online during the coronavirus pandemic.