2. Key events and campaigns
As part of its Safer Internet Programme activities, the European Commission has also initiated a number of high-level events and campaigns, providing updates on progress on Safer/Better Internet issues, while providing opportunities to improve visibility and collaboration.
2.1 Safer Internet Forum
From 2004 onwards, the Safer Internet Forum (SIF) has been the main European Conference on online safety issues, initially established under the Safer Internet Action Plan. The Safer Internet Forum also gives young people the opportunity to express how they see the internet and new technologies, and how such technologies shape and influence their lives.
- SIF 2004: Towards a European code of conduct for the protection of minors; this was a meeting of internet service providers (ISPs) discussing the possibility of drawing up such a code of conduct, 24 June, Luxembourg.
- SIF 2005: Child safety and mobile phones, 14 June, Luxembourg.
- SIF 2006: Children's use of new media and blocking access to illegal content: child sexual abuse images, 21 June, Luxembourg.
- SIF 2007: Safer internet and online technologies for children, 20-26 June, Luxembourg.
- SIF 2008: Online social networking and children, Age verification, Results of research on children's use of new technologies and Cross-platform/cross-media rating and classification, 25-26 September, Luxembourg.
- SIF 2009: Promoting internet safety in schools, 22-23 October, Luxembourg.
- SIF 2010: How do children use online technologies? Are parents up to speed? How to cope with risks?, 21-22 October, Luxembourg.
- SIF 2011: Every European child digital safely – emerging challenges and youth engagement, 20-21 October, Luxembourg.
- SIF 2012: Creating together a better internet for children and young people, 18-19 October, Brussels.
- SIF 2013: Better internet with you(th), 17-18 October, Brussels.
- SIF 2014: Growing up digitally, 6-7 November, Brussels.
- SIF 2015: Breaking down barriers for a better internet, 28-29 October, Luxembourg.
- SIF 2016: Be the change: principles, policies and practices for a better internet, 24 November, Luxembourg.
- SIF 2017: From children's tech to resilient youth – how to foster wellbeing online?, 23 November, Brussels.
- SIF 2018: The impact of technology on children, young people and society, 20 November, Brussels.
- SIF 2019: From online violence to digital respect, 21 November, Brussels.
2.2 Safer Internet Day
Safer Internet Day (SID) started as an initiative of the EU SafeBorders project in 2004, and was picked up by the Insafe network as one of its earliest actions in 2005. Since then, Safer Internet Day has grown beyond its traditional geographic zone and is now celebrated in more than 150 countries worldwide, and across all continents. From cyberbullying to social networking, each year Safer Internet Day aims to raise awareness of emerging online issues and chooses a topic reflecting current concerns.
- SID 2004: First edition celebrated in 14 countries.
- SID 2005: Marked by an internet adventure storytelling contest for children, which was turned into a book of stories and then published.
- SID 2006: Blogathon organised worldwide by Insafe.
- SID 2007: Mobile operators met in Brussels on 6 February and signed an agreement to safeguard children using mobile phones, while a Blogathon also took place.
- SID 2008: Life online is what you make of it.
- SID 2009: Block bullying online (this was the first themed Safer Internet Day campaign).
- SID 2010: Think before you post.
- SID 2011: It's more than a game, it's your life.
- SID 2012: Connecting generations and educating each other.
- SID 2013: Online rights and responsibilities.
- SID 2014: Let's create a better internet together (on Safer Internet Day 2014, the Youth Manifesto initiative was launched in which the Youth Ambassadors shared their views on how to tackle online safety for children and youth).
- SID 2015: Let's create a better internet together.
- SID 2016: Play your part for a better internet.
- SID 2017: Be the change: Unite for a better internet.
- SID 2018: Create, connect and share respect: a better internet starts with you!
- SID 2019: Together for a better internet.
- SID 2020: Together for a better internet.
Safer Internet Day 2021 will be celebrated on Tuesday, 9 February 2021 with a theme, once again, of "Together for a better internet". Find out more on the Safer Internet Day website at www.saferinternetday.org.